Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Tweeting Librarian

Most of us have heard of Twitter.  Some of us even have Twitter feeds.  My own brother says that I need to stop using Facebook as a Twitter feed, but I have more friends on Facebook so why change platforms for 140 characters.  These are some of the things that school librarians need to think about when it comes to using Twitter in the library.

I chose to look at Twitter feeds in the school library because I have not seen much use of it in the elementary school classroom.  I looked at Newton South High School Library twitter feed and saw a lot of positive things about it.  You can link photos in your Twitter feeds where you can share student's work or even pictures of teachers with their favorite books.  They also linked to websites about world events and book reviews by students.  These librarians did not limit themselves to just the walls of the school.  They were trying to talk to students as global citizens, not just inmates at the school.  

Carmel Middle School shocked me when I saw that they only have 5 followers for their whole Twitter feed.  This can be an issue if you are trying to reach a bigger audience.  You have to think about what tactics you can use to get more people subscribed to you.  Justin Bieber has 45.6 million followers.  We need to think about what we are doing in our library to make it as popular at pop culture.  Another con I found with Twitter was that schools are just using it to make announcments and not linking to students work or even to outside websites for curriculum.

The final Twitter feed I looked at was Our Lady of Lourdes.  This feed seemed to be spotty.  There were a lot of time in between Tweets.  This is another factor that we have to think about in supporting and promoting our school library.  One thing that I noticed above all else with all of these library blogs is that there  are no direct invitations to teachers to use links. 

 As I looked at some of the followers to the bigger Twitter feeds, I noticed that many of the followers were adults and not the students or parents from the school community.  It made me think about what is the most important part of the Twitter feed.  Is it to connect your community to the library or to connect the world to your library.  

No comments:

Post a Comment